Friday, September 12, 2008


If you Google the Victorian Era, images of fashion arise. Yet if you type in Victorian Era art paintings appear.
The paintings are like photographs, you are not sure whether it is a painting or a real photograph. But then you realize it is in color and there was no color photography back then. They are almost dream-like, that they don't seem to really exist. Some appear whimsical in that they are fantasy paintings. Of a maiden walking through the forest with sun peering through the trees lighting the way. A unicorn at her side and arriving at a palace in the woods. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?
Painters don't paint like that anymore. I don't remember the last time I saw a painting like those from the Victorian Era. Its as if there is no more imagination (thanks to video games). There is no sense of what was and what is. When did dogs noses start looking like triangles instead of a rectangular form?
I am going to contradict myself of what I just wrote, but if I were to be a painter back then, my thought of what should come next would be a more simplistic way of painting. More shapes than images, more subtle colors not such a wide range of (paintings wouldn't take as long to paint), I guess that's what you could call abstract. And so that would bring us into another era.

No comments: